Cool & Fresh Delivery
How can e-commerce companies best tackle the logistics of fresh refrigerated food products with an eye for food safety, sustainability and affordability?
Pack4Food is part of the user group
Despite the fact that 2020 was a very good year for e-commerce, online sales of fresh, chilled food remain limited for the time being. The latest market figures indicate that online sales in this category are marginal for the time being but have very high growth rates. The market potential of online fresh food is great.
This project will develop guidelines for a legally sound, economically feasible and scalable logistics model, including the possibilities of integration with existing last-mile logistics. The developed guidelines can optionally be elaborated by the participants in their business cases after the project.
The project looks at the possibilities in the national and international e-commerce market, both in a B2C and B2B context.
This project allows the participants, together with Flanders’ FOOD and VIL, to:
- better understand the consumer expectations with regard to online purchases of fresh refrigerated food
- identify specific regulatory and logistical challenges
- learn the technical possibilities
- learn from best practices worldwide
- understand what is economically feasible
- Mapping the current and desired consumer experience
- Learning from existing best practices
- Obtaining legal advice on food safety regulations
- Devise and propose in guidelines various possibilities and concepts for a legally conclusive, economically feasible and scalable logistics model, including the possibilities of integration in existing last-mile logistics
- Studying the technical possibilities during transport in terms of packaging, refrigeration techniques and ICT
- Elaborating a practical manual for the companies
Companies can still participate in this project!